Thursday 31 May 2012


THE EMERGENCE OF THE ‘RECOMENTALIST’

I remember reading about certain Japanese craftsmen (mainly those working in pottery) who would purposefully crack their finished work.  They would then highlight the crack in gold paint. These ‘damaged’ items were regarded as beautiful. 

This is the concept of wabi sabi; what is old and used and shows history and wear has gained the beauty of life.  The value of nurturing what is authentic. 

To quote Sarah Wilson ‘(wabi sabi) ... acknowledges 3 realities:
1.     Nothing lasts
2.    Nothing is finished
3.    Nothing is perfect’
It encourages natural simplicity. 

You can link this to the Sanskrit word ‘sukshma’ (with great apologies to anyone who knows Sanskrit and my knows my interpretation is wrong) ... touching life innocently and faintly.  The extent that you leave your mark on the world.

Ok, ok; why am I writing about this? 
I have invented a term, you heard it here first!

RECOMENTALIST

It means that you are able to afford to buy new things but choose, for any reason, to use something recycled or preloved. 

Yup, recomentalists are all out there.  The second hand shop devotees, ebay-ers, those keeping childhood toys and books to share with the next generation, grandparent’s furniture in your house, re-wearing the clothes you wore in the 80’s (pretending they still fit!????).

So ... wabi sabi? and sukshma? and recomentalist?

My seachange is 90% filled with wabi sabi stuff; preloved (except pillows ... they had to be new!)
Most of the BIG things in the seachange were found on the side of the road; the chairs/couches/tables.  Other things were either given to me or are second hand shop/ebay finds.

Besides surrounding myself in beautiful things, I feel I am leaving less of a physical mark on the earth. 

And that is why I choose to be a recomentalist.

Sanja

No comments:

Post a Comment