Tuesday 27 November 2012

A MATTER OF TRUST


I have been interviewing real estate agents for the ‘big house sell’. 

Is it strange that I don’t trust any of them?  I usually trust most people (and unfortunately sometimes get ‘bitten on the bum!’); but such is life.

Selling is pretty stressful for lots of reasons, no less the fact that you feel everyone is out to get you; especially the real estate agent.

This week, a house up the road was advertised for $90,000 more than it sold for.  Was this a typical agent putting the price too high, only to blame the market, lack of buyers, Christmas, etc, etc, etc.  My guess is ... yes!

Like used car salesman and lawyers, you always feel a real estate agent is pulling the wool over your eyes.  So, who do I choose?

-          The one who values my house the highest? No, I am realistic about the value of my home.

-          The one who talks about the way she 'plays the buyers off against each other' to get the best deal for you (and herself), and advocates ‘set sale’. No, I don’t want to know the slimy ins and outs, just do it.

-          The one who subscribes to the ‘Jenman’ real estate philosophy – with only open for inspection, but won’t answer the commission question from a direct answer. Hmm, this guy’s tempting, as he really pushed the honesty factor and when I researched I found a whole realm of information on the Jenman style (not to be confused with Gun Num style – although Gun Num would be more fun!) However, he was a real ‘salesman’ with the smooth questions and answers but forgetting the answers I had already given. 

-          The one who has a mix of all styles, offers free styling advice and a handyman at fixed cost, honestly advises that his commission is high compared to some other agents but doesn't charge commission unless he sells - only charge marketing.  This one didn't want to chat or find out personal circumstances, and agreed with selling price of the ‘Jenman’ man. This may be the one I go with ...

Do I trust any of them?  No. 

Do I have to? 

Maybe with the real estate agents; like dress shop girls (who tells you that you look fabulous) and builders (who you have to go with because no one else would do a small job) you just have to make the best of it.  They have you where they want you, because you need them.

I will prepare myself for disappointment; but wouldn't it be nice to be pleasantly surprised. 

No comments:

Post a Comment