Monday 23 July 2012

Privacy on the internet: how much can you reveal without giving away yourself?


  

When I started this blog several of my friends were concerned; because the internet is primed for bullying.  ‘Once it is out on the net you have lost control’ - even if you erase it, someone else may have copied it.  Fair call. 

I put a reasonable morsel of my own opinion in my posts, and, although I haven’t quite gotten onto really controversial topics that are close to my heart such as gay marriage, religion, green politics, women’s rights etc., there is much of ME in my blog.

Facebook gives me the horrors because of all the things that are posted, in a hurry and often with unconsidered thought. Criticising comments about others, photographs you wish were never taken; the anonymous-ness of bullying.   Too many times your own ‘privacy’ is not an issue... until it is too late. 

I read this quote by Katheen Hanna; It says it all. 

“Beyoncé isn’t Beyoncé because she reads comments on the Internet. Beyoncé is in Ibiza, wearing a stomach necklace, walking hand in hand with her hot boyfriend. She’s going on the yacht & having a mimosa. She’s not reading shitty comments about herself on the Internet, & we shouldn’t either. I just think, Would Beyoncé be reading this? No, she would just delete it or somebody would delete it for her. What I really need to do is close the computer & then talk back to that voice & say, F*** you. I don’t give a sh** what you think. I’m Beyoncé. I’m going to Ibiza with Jay-Z now, f*** off. Being criticized is part of the job, but seeking it out isn’t. That’s our piece to let go.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment