A few posts behind that, I wrote about my sugar free and salt free breakfasts, including my bread and cream cheese recipes.
Now, today, yet another secret recipe is leaving my den ... my super easy, sugar free banana bread recipe.
Shhhh .... don't let everyone know it. Just enjoy it yourself with cream cheese, tahini, peanut butter, whatever!
Or, you can spread it with my sugar free dried apricot preserve........ my mouth is watering just thinking about it.
Cane-Sugar Free Banana Bread
- 3 big bananas, ripe (you can freeze peeled bananas if you have a bunch of over ripe ones. When you defrost them they they are super mushy!)
- 1 3/4 cup of wholemeal self raising flour
- 2/3 cup of raisins (you can puree the raisins to distribute the sweetness using a blending stick or food processor, or leave them whole)
- 90 ml of grape seed oil (I use grape seed because it has a higher heat point tolerance than olive oil!)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp heaped cinnamon
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup of almond meal (this is basically just ground almonds)
Heat oven to 190 - 210 degrees C.
Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
Put all ingredients into a bowl, use a potato masher or blending stick or anything else you want to use to mix it all together.
Bung it in the loaf tin
Cook for 30 to 40 minutes. (After 30 minutes test it with a skewer! Leave it a bit longer if it is not quite ready).
1 packet (about 300g) of dried apricots (I use the brown coloured, un-sulfured type)
2 apples, roughly chopped
zest and juice of one lemon
Put apricots and apples in a saucepan and cover with water.
Simmer on low for about 15-20 minutes until the apricots are mushy. Add the lemon zest and juice, stir, and simmer for another 5 minutes or so until it is thick.
Remove from heat and allow to cool.
I kept some in the fridge for a week in a jar, froze some in another container and froze some in ice cube trays for individual portions.
It is also yummy for dessert on yoghurt, sprinkled with toasted nuts!