Monday 4 March 2013

Ringo Starr the Artist

Saturday was a big day for me.  As well as buying a house, I went to the Ringo Starr art/Beatles photography exhibition at the Silver K Gallery in Armadale.  

I had heard comments to the effect that Ringo 'was not an artist' and that his art 'was not great'.   Well, to quote a good friend; each to their own.

I thoroughly enjoyed it.  

Ringo is not 'an artist', he is what I would term a create-er. His art was humorous, whimsical,  joyful, clever and represented what made him feel good about his creativity. You can be critical and say 'I could do that'.  The fact is ...  Ringo did it.

If I could have afforded to buy, I would have; because many of the pieces made me feel joyful too. I giggled over some, and absorbed the colours in others.  And the message was loud and clear ... enjoy it.  

It is a clever method to capitilise on your fame for a good cause - the proceeds of his art sales go to his and his wife's charity.  What a great way to raise money and raise the profile of the charity too.



Bad Finger!




I love this "Ringo is knot for weapons' 





The photographic exhibition was lovely.  Many of the shots were of the  'boys' early days, in black and white. 

The manager/owner of the gallery retold a story of when Ringo was actually doing his meet and greet at the exhibit opening.  Some of the photos had reminded Ringo of happy times or funny stories that he hadn't thought about for many years.   

Photos do that to you, don't they. 



No comments:

Post a Comment