Thursday 20 June 2013

Moving into my new home; Modified decluttering

If you follow my posts, you will know I have all my belongings from my 'old house' stored in various places.   It will all have to move into the 'new house', starting Monday.

Big problem.  Old house = BIG.  New house = small

I know it will not all fit.  I remember what I have packed and OMG!!!!

Not just clothes.  Vinyl records, books, videos, CD's with photos on them, big furniture, little furniture, glassware, dinner sets, towels, baby toys (my baby is 18!) etc, etc, etc.

I can't de-clutter like the experts suggest (tried once before) because it doesn't make me happier, it just makes me worry about what I am going to have to do without.

So, I am going to modify the accepted de-cluttering philosophy.  

Rule 1.  Decide what I absolutely have to keep.  For whatever reason.  These items are my number 1's.

Rule 2. Everything else is designted a rating 'number'; 2, 3, 4, etc to 10.  

Rule 3.  Give away/sell the 10 group.

Rule 4.  Wait a month and look over the rating 9 group.  No changes?  Give/sell etc. 

Rule 5.  Continue down every month to rating 5.  I reckon I could live with that.  That should be, in theory, half my belongings.  

I'll let you know how I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment