Monday 10 June 2013

Slowing down the sugar rush - My Baked Lemon Cheese Cake

I love eating sweet things but can get a really negative sugar rush.   I binge on sugary stuff (a party-sized bag of jelly snakes anyone?  sugar-holics anonymous) suffer the mood swings and actually wake up the next day with a 'hang over'!

I have given up on 'Stevia' and other natural, 'low calorie' sweeteners because they just don't taste good; and so they don't satisfy.  

Xylitol, Erithrytol, Mannitol and Sorbitol all have known side effects and aspartame and those other artificial sweeteners are pure poison!

I discovered that if I want to avoid the sugar rush,  I need to make sure my 'sweet thing' is not pure sugar, but balanced with a quality, low-ish GI food- the catch phrase is 'nutrient dense'.  

Examples:

Dark chocolate: two rows does the trick - Whittakers Dark Ghana or Dark Almond. 

Sugar-free jam* and peanut butter on fruit bread is a winner. (See my easy recipe for fruit bread under recipes posts).  

Honey on rice or barley pudding or porridge is up there with the best of comfort food (I add some raisins too).  

Last week I made a batch of my home-made cream cheese.  I use this cream cheese like 'philly' cheese, it has all the good yoghurt enzymes too!  (See my easy recipe for cream cheese under recipes posts).

While plain cream cheese is yummy I wanted to make something sweet as a treat.  


BAKED CHEESE CAKE 
No crust!

I grated the rind of two lemons and juiced them.  
Added the juice to the cream cheese with two eggs and a can of sweetened condensed milk.  (I used skim and it worked fine!). 
Stirred well and poured the whole lot into a pan lined with baking paper** and put it in an oven on 160 degrees C  for about half and hour.

Fantastic!  

It was a bit like baked custard or lemon pudding.  Next time I will add warmed up frozen berries or bake a banana or apples along with it for a really yummy addition.

I also want to experiment with non-cane sugar -  using a similar quantity of normal milk and use either rice malt syrup, maple syrup or honey.  

I cut the left over cheese cake up into wedges and froze them.  Instant Lemon Ice cream.  

Win win all round.   

*Dick Smith makes a good sugar-free jam - don't try the fig, but the strawberry, apricot and marmalade are great and Aussie made.

** I didn't bother cutting the paper to shape, just laid it over the pan and poured the mixture on top - it formed it's own shape!


No comments:

Post a Comment