Tuesday 12 June 2012

Less is More; but it is tough!



At the end of last year I made a pact, that for a whole year I would not buy myself any clothes or shoes; not on sale or in second hand shops or anywhere. 

 

Why? Hmmm, let me see the list.....

 

1.     I have many gorgeous clothes that I don’t wear because I have forgotten about them.

2.    I don’t need them because I have plenty.

3.    Storage!!! Where to put them?

4.    Too many choices meant that I spend too long fussing over my clothes: ‘I have nothing to wear!’.

5.    Money. Full stop.

6.    Got a bit over the consumerism of it all.

 


It is now June and I reckon I have done ok for 6 months.

I succumbed and bought a scarf that was too pretty to leave behind, and I have worn it at least a dozen times.

I have been handed down some clothes and resurrected others from storage (almost like getting new clothes!)

I have gone into second hand shops and tried on clothes but never bought them.


Pat on the head, good girl (not like me at all).


Unfortunately, this didn’t curtail my shopping.  I have been buying for the seachange (mainly second hand) and now find I have too much stuff I don’t need and not enough of other things.

 

Now I am making another pact.  I will not buy anything unless I either sell or donate something else of equal value.  This will force me to seriously look at what I am blessed to own already and whether my desire for new belongings is worth it. 

 


I am starting today.  I have to return some things to Ikea (I love that place!).  I can only spend in Ikea what I get from the returns.  Pressure, pressure!

 

If I sell something, I can buy other things to the same value. Only then.

 

And yes, I am still on my clothing moratorium.  I will let you know how I go in the next 6 months.


:)

No comments:

Post a Comment