Monday 6 August 2012

Routines Part 2 Cold turkey vs Easing into it



In my post the other day I mentioned that I was going to try and establish a routine.  
How am I going?  The first 4 days were a miserable FAIL! 

Couldn’t get out of bed in time, slept through the snooze several times, went away for the weekend and slopped (not a bad thing, just not good for routine setting!)

Then; I was thinking about why I wanted to establish a routine, and in the same thought  I made a decision about my lifestyle and my health, (which I may or may not tell you about another time – let’s just suffice to say I am a stress junkie, with all the repercussions...).

I would try the routine thing again, but not get stressed by it (which defeats the purpose); change my diet slightly, change my attitude slightly, and EASE my way into things.   

What am I doing?

First: I am trying to breathe.  A very, very dear friend of mine keeps telling me to breathe – to ‘still’ myself.   So, I am now deep breathing whenever I think about it, slowly and mindfully (I love that word; ‘mindfully’ ....)  Deep breathing forces you to think of stilling yourself, slow, even, deep breaths.  Calm, calm, calm.   
So, when the alarm goes off in the morning, I deep breathe, eyes closed, relaxed. 
Second: What do I like to do that will encourage me to wake up?  I love to read, so I have a good book within reach so I can read for 20 minutes before getting up (ha! once my eyes focus).
Third: Now I am awake-ish. I get out of bed and do some simple yoga moves without trying too hard.  All the time telling myself not to hurry, enjoy the moment, take my time and Breathe. 

Then; hot lemon drink.
Breakfast.
Shower.
Dress.
Go.  But not in a hurry.  If I am late, chill: Breathe.

For two days now it has worked a treat, and I have enjoyed it.  Not the waking up bit, but the things I have done because I have woken up. 

Trying too hard to change, trying to establish a routine that was not me, made me resentful, and subconsciously I didn’t want to do it. 


The new way seems, so far, easier; one step at a time, more me.  

Significance of the goats? Hey, sometimes you have to go out on a limb (sorry about that!).

No comments:

Post a Comment