Monday 13 August 2012

Social Media misuse (Or how to be a bitch without really trying)


Below are two examples of quotes I found on the internet; if they were actually quoted (or misquoted) by the people credited for them.  The fact these comments made it to the WORLD is my case in point.  

Firstly, the sad, sad, sad, (and I hope misquoted) comment from fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, about the gorgeous Middleton sisters (of British Royal Family fame) ...

"Kate Middleton has a nice silhouette and she is the right girl for that boy," Lagerfeld said. "I like that kind of woman, I like romantic beauties.”

"On the other hand, her sister struggles. I don't like the sister's face. She should only show her back."

WHA’??????  

To use the acronym .... OMG!!!! Do I need to explain how awful this quote is? 

Karl, if it is true; have a good strong think man. 

The next quote is the antithesis of all the negativity. A wonderful woman, Gretel Kileen (who was the original host of the Big Brother series in Australia, and suffered from negative social media of her own) was asked to comment on the new season of Big Brother. (My additional comments are in red italics.) 

"I choose to guess it will be a great success because BB is a strong format and (new host) Sonia Kruger will be a terrific host. I choose to be positive because I'm tired of Australians (any nationality) unhealthily wishing failure on one another in vacuous displays of schadenfreude, a possible ironic consequence of 11 years of reality TV colliding with a nation suffering low self-esteem."

Go Grrl!  And good luck to Sonia (although I won’t be watching; not my type of tv).

To paraphrase Howard Zinn (possibly channelling Karl L.)
‘If we see only the worst, it destroys our capacity to do something.’

Howard may have been channelling Gretel K. when he wrote this...
‘If we remember those times and places—and there are so many—where people have behaved magnificently, this gives us the energy to act, and at least the possibility of sending this spinning top of a world in a different direction.’  

No comments:

Post a Comment